Monday, January 4, 2016

Welcome to Banaras

So much to say that I dont know where to begin. I am here...in Banaras...aka Varanasi..aka Kashi. I had a great eventful day. This AM I took a shuttle rikshaw to this place that is 500m from the kashi visvanath mandir. I walked over and went to the mandir. The security was so tight! Guards were shooing and pushing people around to keep moving. One cannot pray in peace there. Although there were places you could stand peacefully away from the guards and the crowd. I dont velieve that God lives in a statue or temple, but because this is such a historical site...I wanted to explore it. Also, mandirs or places of worship are for just that...worship and peace of mind. To gather ones thoughts and refresh the mind. It is hard to do with security guards pushing the visitors and all...but only 1 guard pushed me. The rest very nice and kind. They would help make room for me as I am a female. That was nice. Then I had really yummy roadside food at this restaurant next door... Best bataka nu shaak...or potato sabzi I have had!! Then I kept walking down the markets until I reached the main ghat..I was awe-struck at the first view of Ganga nadi!! Then I walked down the steps and then across all the ghats until I reached Assi ghat...it was like an hr or 1.5 hr walk on the stairs on the river bank. I stopped a bit too to just sit. It was nice. Then I walked back as the rikshaw was too much and I refuse to spend that much money. Walking back was great!! I made my way through narrow alleys for fun and then after getting out to the market area again, took a cycle rikshaw back..that was an interesting experience!! The streets of banaras and the down slope seat of the cycle rikshaw..I had fun!! And saw the actual city areas on the way!! Now I am ready for bed..its only almost 8pm but I am sleepy. I will go dry clothes and then sleep! I want to go to Sarnath.. Buddhist temple where Sidharta Gautam (1st Budhha) started Buddhist philosophy and preachings....this place is spiritual in so many ways..from Hinduisim to Buddhism to Jainism to Islam.. All religions have a historical connection to Varanasi..

No comments:

Post a Comment