Sunday, December 20, 2015

Alleppey to Varkala journey

Here is a series of pictures of all the good stuff! I realized I complained too much. A little rest goes a long way in refreshing the mind and I was running around on 3 hrs of sleep so...highlights from the journey:  little kids discovered I speak spanish and we had a blast! They were asking a million questions, and then showing off how they are using long pipes as trumpets...it was precious!! The hostel owner was so.grnuinely nice and sincere. He asked me at check out how much I was to pay and what I ordered to eat! So I looked online and told him my remaining balance. For someone running a business to trust a guest or customer to decide the total charge takes a lot of trust and selflessness because other places may try to rip you off by adding additional costs and all. Another highlight was on my way to the bus station there was a temple festival going on so I asked the rikshaw driver to just drop me off there. It felt so nice to go to the mandir after so long! No pushing and shoving. People were polite and respectful like a mandir should be! Then checked out the stalls. Saw a haathi...poor elephant was tied in chains and made to do labor. I felt so bad for it. Elephants are mammals and have feelings like humans. They prefer living in groups and a life of freedom yet they are used to be tourist attractions by turning them into some decorative amusement ride in the forest or city. I love haatis and felt bad for them. DidnI mention the museum I went to 1 day ago had a whole section of ivory carvings. The statues were cultural and religious but I couldnt get the fact that haathis were probably hurt out of my head. I walked away fast.  Anyway back to another highlight which was catching a train last second literally. I felt accomplished as after a series of twists and turns leading me to the railway station and finding the right route. I walked into the ladies compartment seeing how I had most of it to myself!! There were 2 or 3 other women but whole benches and section to myself!! It was a scenic and beautoful ride listening to my old hindi songs watching villages go by and seeing backwaters and farms. I am glad i ended up on a train instead of a bus. Then I got on the wrong compartment of the 2nd connecting train i had to take. Haha. Oh well. I stayed. It felt nice and there were many empty berths as it was a train from.delhi all the way close to its last station in south Kerala! The inspector dude told me get off and go to the 1st compartment at the next station when I boarded but I neevr did. I was going to because I wanted to be honest but I xouldnt risk missing the train if I got off. To my surprise the journey was soooo fast. I had estimated 3 to 4 hrs from onlinr railway timings on indiarail site but i did end up taking completely dfferent trains last min...and it took me may be 1.5 hours or so!! Since it was a fast express train mayb thats why! Not complaining there! The cutest little kidnwas in the compartment as me. I would watch him and then the window and so forth...another highlight was successfully bargaining the price of a full body massage down to 400Rs from 600. I saw the lady charge another woman after me 600...the initial price. Its a tourist filled cliff in this town. Never seen so many toruists in one place in India like this before!!  Anyway, the last hgihlight was friendly locals. Showing me the way back in the dark when I was lost. They are so used to tourists by now I bet. Luckily a flashlight app doenloaded on my phone while eating at this amazing simple family owned road side kerala restaurant. Their 3 year old was so sweet...and I did not miss the sunset at the beach!! Right as I walked out of the ayurvedic spa. The water felt good brushing aganisht my feet and the waves so soothing. The undertides are very strong in varkala apparently so the coast guard wisteled for people to get out of the water. I am not going completely in with strong under tides...no way. I love practicing my newly acquired swimming skills but not supid enough to go in a ocean known for people getting swift away every year! I was content where I was :)












2 comments:

  1. I'm mesmerized by the beauty of nature. I'm so glad that you are having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm mesmerized by the beauty of nature. I'm so glad that you are having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete