Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Kochi day 1

After such a heavy post, I will stay concise. Well, at least try to be. So I landed at Kochi international this AM! Let me just say I was pleasantly surprised by the 2nd leg of Etihad airlines from Abu Dhabi to Cochin.  I was not too impressed with the flight from JFK to UAE though. The last leg of the flight was great! There was a USB cable outlet!! I climbed up on the seat and got my backpack down from the overhead bin and pulled out my USB cord.  viola! I could finally listen to the playlist I had made just for this journey while not letting my phone's battery go out.  I got so excited, and it was only the begining.  Then, the beautiful clouds and sunrise in the sky while eating wonderful idli sambhar for breakfast! It was too good; I think hald of it was that I was starving.  It was still great! The service was fantastic!

So after reaching Kochi, I had no checked bag so out I went! Well, first, the whole visa/customs thing! They were so nice and friendly towards me! I was impressed with the customer service. They called me madam and mam. I remember mumbai airport 10 yrs ago; it was a nightmare. Such rude deceiving staff. It was total opposite at Kochi. Professionalism actually meant something! Then, I headed outside to catch a bus.  After asking few people, I finally found the bus stand (not really a stand. just a poster) in the middle of the road outside the airport! I got myself a cheap sim card before that, but I don't even know if I will use it.  My phone works fine, and you learn to adjust.  I don't want to be too tied to technology! Got myself a mazaa (mango drink). I live off of those in India.  Then I got on the bus to Fort Kochi.  I was one of two women on the bus.  I was like seriously?! I was not going to get off, as I 80Rs is better than 500Rs. I think it would have been even cheaper if I had taken rikshaw/tuk tuk to the ferry terminal and ferry to Fort Kochi, but I was like bus it is! I need to chill. Luckily, the conductor was really nice and helped me figure out it was the right bus.  Also, more women joined the bus as it made its journey to Fort Kochi's final stop (which was like 1+ hour ride).  Nice mini tour though! I enjoyed it. I love public transport! It is awesome! You meet local people, save money, and see the place you are in for what it really is rather than by-passing to only touristy areas. 

Then I took rikshaw to the hostel from the bus stop. The rikshaw driver was on my back about giving me a full tour of Fort Kochi. I was like no thanks. He was like here is my card. Call me if you want to tour.  Then, the same person saw me walking down the street later and was like you need a ride? haha I had told him that I was planning on resting today, so I was not going to tour. The rikshaws drivers mean well here as it is a tourist town and they want/need to make money.  Who better to tour then someone who has been to the places a million times.  I was still not falling for it.  I prefer walking and finding my way over short cuts that money can buy. Don't worry people. You have to have a strong intuition, but at the same time, try to see good in others.

So for the rest of my day, I checked in at the hostel, tried to find a medical shop that sold Chloroquine-no luck! Apparently, the pharmacist was so shocked I asked for it. She was like we do not have it. Another pharmacist at a different shop said the same thing! I was frustrated. I was like I probably have to go to the big pharmacies or the mall at Enarkalum (main area of Kochi) .  So later that day, after roaming around, I took a ferry to the main land. It got darker and darker, so I decided to turn back and get a ticket for a ferry ride back.  There were these huge cargo ships. I wish it did not get dark so early! I really would have liked to explore the main land and find a store that had something as essential as an anti-malarial and mosquito repellent. It was a wise idea to turn back.  I got back and tried to bargain for  a scarf as I don't have a blanket, but no luck. I decided not to buy anything.  Then, I went to this restaurant and had dosa!! They did not have masala dosa, so I got plain dosa! It was good, and I decided to head back.  I tried to bargain for a scarf once again with only going down by 50Rs.  Oh well. Needless to say I did not buy that either. Then, I got back to the hostel and washed my clothes. hehe. They are hanging to dry. oh I wish the floor is not soaking wet! Luckily, I was the only one in my dorm room so I hung up the clothes to dry.  The fan is on high. Here is to hoping they dry fast! :) I didn't want to pay 100Rs for their laundry service..that is too much! 

I am excited about tomorow! Booked a backwater boat tour! It was expensive I admit, but it looks like it should be worth the money.  Also, this will teach me about culture of a place. I do not put a money value on learning about new places and different cultures. I think one of these days I will go to Kathakali performance! They are so many centers nearby. Well, I think I want to go to my room and read this Swami Vivekanand biography. The common room is getting busy. I want to have time to myself to relax tonight. First day in India!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment