Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Backwaters galore!

Welcome to my Kochi day 2 experience portal! You might just want to buy a ticket to Kerala after this, but don't worry if you cannot go at this time.  The backwaters are here to stay.  So, I woke up at 5am ready to explore.  I thought to myself I would watch the sunrise and take the first ferry to Enarkalum (mainland part of Kochi).  I was all ready to go as you get used to getting ready in minimal light and noise while everyone in your dorm is still snoozing away.  I get to the common room to leave the hostel and see that it is pitch black outside.  Also, the door was locked. I went to turn on the lights, and one of the hostel employees was sleeping on the chairs. I felt so bad for turning the light on and waking him up accidently, so I apologized and turned it off to let him sleep.  I say there in the common room, aka the only room with wi-fi, and googled sunrise time for Kochi. I had 1 hr I needed to wait. Ahh, but its ok. I waited while eating my bag of gems (Indian version of M&Ms) that I had baught from the ferry terminal the night before.  Then as the sun brightened the dark sky, I walked outside and found a rikshaw to take me to reliance mart/market. I had googled the directions.  Finally, I got there and got was I had been looking for which none of the medical shops or convienence road side shops had...face wash!! Also, got myself tide soap for washing clothes for 10Rs!! Bingo! won the lottery. Now I don't have to use hand wash to do either.  You adjust when you travel, especially with a bookback limiting capacities, and so forth.  I looked for places for breakfast afterwards, but no luck as places were still closed.  After walking nearly 2-3 km, I took a rikshaw back to the hostel as the backwaters tour was to take off at 8 to 830. Bunch of other backpackers from the hostel were going on it too, so everyone walked to the intersection, got on the van, and off we went after making few stops to pick other guests up. 
The car ride to the backwater area in a village about an hr or so away (not in Kochi) was relaxing.  I listened to music.  I played my patriotic songs..Maa Tujhe Salam! Yeh jo des hai tera swades hai tera. :) Made me appreciate how lucky I am for these experiences.  Then, we all got to the place. The tour guide was great! So simple and authentic in his demeanor. (spelling and grammar will be off in all my blogs. I don't care. ) I'd rather go explore some more than do spell check and all.. anyway..
The houseboat was awesome! It wasn't really a house on a boat like some really are.  This was more of a daytrip type of a boat.  It was neat. The seats were all made from wood fibers.  We later also stopped at couple places that made rope, made Carbon compounds from clam shells, etc.. also stopped in this small village and learned about different plants and what they grew such as nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. It was pretty cool.  The lunch was authentic.  We ate on banana leafs with traditional Kerala food. So good, yet spicy. I was like I wish I bought my tissues as my nose was runny all of a sudden! Oh well I still ate extra athanu/achar. (mixed pickle). I love athanu!! This was soooo good!!! I balanced the taste with rice, and kheer. Then they gave small bananas from the trees there. That helped even the spiciness out. I crave that athanu now!! Then, got on the boat. Went to another place and transferred to  small canoes. well large canoes since it fit 8 people each!! One person, a local villager was the only paddling. He was so humble and down to earth. I was impressed and amazed at the villagers' lives and professionalism.  He was so skilled at this job of his, but I felt bad because it is hard labor to manuever large boats and canoes by oneself with passengers! He had so many varicose veins! No wonder! People in developed countries complain about standing on their feet and get laser and what not for minor superficial things, which can be subjective, so to each their own, but in places like villages, people work hard and keep working harder. That is life. They are grateful and have a smile on their face. Looks are not important, but their dedication to their duty is more important! I just wish them good health. Kerala is famous for ayurveda though!! I wonder how many people really get the health care they need here!
On a light note, a bird pooped on me from the tree branch above when we were passing through a narrow canal in the canoe. Hand sanitizer and alcohol pads to the rescue! I fell asleep on the car ride back to the hostel!! It was a good day trip overall! Got back, and the lights were gone!! Every couple hrs, lights go out for 30min to an hr here in this hostel! I really needed to wash my face! I turned on the reading light on my phone and washed my face with my new face wash!! at least my face felt fresh. I had to wash my clothes after the lights came on.  I needed 2 hands for that. So soon as the lights came on, I finally got to wash my sweaters with the new tide soap!! My bed sheets and floor around it is going to be  so wet from the dripping water! No matter how much you try to get hte water out, it is never enough! Oh well! It is what it is!! At least I saved money! I value my trips more when I do all the work anyway! or at least most of it!
Now, I want to find a place to eat dinner. Dosa again or something else?! hmmm ...






pictures will have to wait to be posted. this wi fi is not even that strong for now.
overall, so thankful! I'm debating if I want to publish this blog or not now.  I want to surprise my family in Gujarat as they don't know I am in India. I will contemplate some more and see what I do later... what shall I have for dinner. Must google restuarants in Fort Kochi!
or do what I am used to..keep walking until I find someplace I like :) ..wanderer for life

No comments:

Post a Comment