Monday, December 21, 2015

varkala adventures

So I am a little under the weather. Viral uri..no biggie except it is causing me to have general malaise and I feel woozy if that is even a word. But I made the most of today and tried to get adequate rest as well. I need to drink more water for sure. I felt at edge with heat exhaustion today as I got near syncope and dizziness with very very mild headache waslking down north cliff through an alley of stairs going to south cliff/helipad area. I got a popcicle to help! Anyway the wonderful things that I experience today....where to start?? For one I am at a wonderful roadside restaurant with lit lights and candles. Its the same one I ate at yesterday. i needed someplace nearby as my body is not letting me walk 5 km. I will have to do that tomorow anyway. I walked enough today...walked all the way down the road this AM to black beach! Loved how untouristy and calm it was. Due to lack of shaded area to camp out and read, I walked back. Then went to north cliff aka the tourist hub. Its crazyyy. I preffered more cultural side of travel so I was on a mission to get to south cliff where Hindus come from across the country for pilgrimage to do the antim sanskar (final rites) of their loved ones. I also wanted to go to the temple there so I walked and walked and walked some more till I found it!!! It was closed but going at night when it opened was not a valid option. So I prayed from outside. I also met this lovely young woman with whom I formed an instant friendship. i wont see her again though. She came from out of state to start a business of clothes and stuff and she told me how this season she has not made much or any profit. She was all of 20 or 21 and I connected with her. We talked a lot and I was so amazed to learn so much about her and I decided I would not bargain the price down and I would buy something from her shop. Her genuine story touched my heart. I knew I couldve easily bargained the price down to half the asking price but in some situations I value the persons livelihood from the earnings a lot more than saving how ever many rupees.  I definitely dont let people take advantage of me though. Far as people I meet here are concerned...I am from Gujarat. i barely mention USA. Unless its the place I am staying at. I am gujju so I am not lying. Was born in Gujarat afterall. They dont rip me off as much when I leave out USA when  ask where I am from for obvious reasons. I also prefer speaking in Hindi. It is interesting how amazingly diverse it is here. All sorts of religions and cultural groups. People from tibet, nepal, kashmir, karnataka, kerala of course, and so many other places... I met this gentleman over breakfast and wr got to talking about how he loves Kerala. He is from UK and stay in India for extended time and learned so much about his journey. We all have our own journeys. Everyone we meet and everyplace we go shapes us somehow. Staying at hostels and similar guesthouses allows for that socialization and learning about people from all across the world and their journeys!! Unlike fancy hotels! so as I was typing this at the restaurant...the. 3 yr old cutie whose family owns the restaurant was dancing to the music and just so energetic!  So much entertainment and cutness ! I just chilled there for a while. I was like I am in nonrush.  I am so glad I got myself to get up and go eat dinner. I feel better having been there now!:) AND I finally got a blanket and vicks vapor rub. i can sleep tonight instead of shivering under my makeshift blanket aka sweaters. Somethinga gotta give I told myself. Budget travelling is no luxury and its all about adjusting. i needed my clothes to dry so fan has to be on high!! Only have several pairs of clothes!! This morning was rough ad my malaise was bad and I spent an hr washing my clothes in the sink! They smelled like oil from the massage yesterday which I hated...tried so hard to get the smell out! But on the positive note...today was beautiful. I feel blessed...and lucky...I met womderful people..got to know locals..pray at thr mandir....experience amazing views at the cliffs...and got me some vicks!!! Good night!








2 comments:

  1. Food looking good as usual. Hope you feel better. Drink some spiced Kerala tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food looking good as usual. Hope you feel better. Drink some spiced Kerala tea!

    ReplyDelete