Friday, December 25, 2015

Goodbye Kerala

The font might be off for this post. It is the phone being weird. Anyway here I am in Mumbai...airport. So much for my adventerous plan of exploring bombay but in the future for sure. I always sat that about every place and end up making it happen so its all good! I must say I am impressed by the security of kochi and mumbai airports..last time I flew through mumbai in 2005...was terrible. Security guards trying get money from us and no such thing as customer service. Things have changed in a decade here at the mumbai airport! So my last day in kochi was awesome. As usual, things did not go as planned. Which is perfect!! I made the most of the situation and had a blast! Instead of going to the mall to get soup, I got dropped off my rikshaw driver at a random place that happened to be by ton of outdoor shopping complexes where the locals chill! I got what I needed after bargaining a.lot and ate at a restaurant. It was a canteen sytle restaurant where you order at the desk and take a token and give it to the food counter. They then prepare and give you the tray of food. Pretty neat concept. I had paper dosa!! I shall try to attach the photo but it was the biggest dosa I have ever had!!! Half my height may be!! Then I walked around..felt so nice..reminded me of mandvi shopping area in baroda. Speaking of which I am heading to my hometown in couple hrs. I cannot wait to have pani puri. I dont care if i got luggage on me..had to buy a separate bag in kochi so i can get gifts for everyone. I have a huge family and that is an understatement. I feel like I am abandoning my backpacking ways by doing this and carrying an extra bag but if I am seeing family I have to. If I was noy stopping by in Gunarat, then my backpack would be my sole companion with all that I need. The simple life of travelling. Anyway I am stopping by a random pani puri lahri and pigging out soon as I spot one. I didnt find any pani puri in kerala. It is a north indian dish thats why. Nonetheless...I had plenty of dosas!! Oh and I had a lovely walk down this broadwalk next to the sea by the ferry station...eating masala daar mango slices!! Yumm..it is interesting how people start asking you for directions after you have been in a new place for some days. Even though they dont know that. I guess I blended in!! Always my goal! Remember in interlaken switzerland I was walking back to my hostel through this park and couple girls stopped me asked me for directions to the train station!! I told them with full confidence! I love how my knowledge and skills get to expand when on the road!! So this punjabi family asked me for directions and what to see in fort kochi. I got so excited... I was thinking please ask me more questions. I was like matancherry and fort kochi are two areas on the same land..adjacent to eachother..i can see how it can be confusing though. That is why walking is the best way to learn about a new place. I probably walked through places where not many women walk by themselves..at least not local women..but I refuse to let fear ground me. I know how to make friends with strangers when I am alone and develop bonds to get locals to be on my side and help me when needed... Haha such improper grammar and spelling. Everyone isnreally nice and helpful for the most part in Kerala. I encounter better customer service and kindness from strangers than I did elsewhere in India. My only other India experiences have been in gujarat and mumbai airport to be fair though..once I got to mumbai airport today, I was waiting in line patiently at the bathroom when all these ladies got in front of me and stood by the stalls. The bathroom attendant was like aap que mein ho..I was like mein jaanti hu woh sab mere aage chal gaye. Then she got all those cutting ladies to get behind me and wait their turn. I was like yupp this is mumbai and most of what India is like. People ruin it for others. People make or break every place! I know how to be assertive but I choose to follow the right path until others get way outta.line...like when rikshaw drivers or shop owners try to charge me more. Cant let others rudeness rub off on you or else you become cynical. I saw the positive and still let another lady go in front of me when she realized her mistake. Back to my kochi experiences, At night I roamed around..walking from the bus stand near where I was staying to down the beach side...sat by the beach and watched the sunset and kids play. Kids are always my attraction. Then walked to Dal Roti restaurant. Had amazing palak paneer and ginger lemon homey tea. Good for my throat!! Wonderful time in Kochi overall!!

No comments:

Post a Comment