Thursday, December 17, 2015

Day of history and culture

Hello! So today I woke up and had my leftover katti roll!! Yumm. Last night I went to this restaurant called dal roti, which is very popular, and had it. I only ate half and saved other half for this AM. Money well spent! The service was superb! I ran out of cash/change to pay the rikshaw guy so I went in the restaurant to ask for change and the owner offered the 20rs without taking money from me to pay him. That is xustomer service. Of course the 20rs was added to my final bill but thats good. I dont like to owe anyone anything.        Today, I took a ferry to Ermakalum from fort kochi. Listening to.music watching the ocean water :) then headed to museum of kerala history. It was amazing! Highly recommend it. The art work was unique and diverse. From contemporary to traditional. The main exhebition was really innovative. An audio guide on speakers while each part of the historical timeline lit up. Mind blowing! I was in awe. Loved it! Ok I am done now. Then over priced rikshaw took me to the mall. Food court. Need I say more? Anyway after slurpping on manchow soup that I love, I saw crosswords book store. I was ecstatic and nostalgic. My fav bookstore in the world!! I couldnt help but browse away and buy a book. I could sit there all day and browse n read. I had to control my desire to buy all the books I liked. No room in my bookbag. Plus I will barely read for fun. I will read non fiction and autobiographies. I have a strong enough imagination that fiction doesnt amuse me. I am creating stories is my head.anyway! I got this book on this ladys experience of moving to India. I like to hear about others esperiences!!                       Then I got back by ferry and got ticket to kathakali performance. Went to hostel and freshened up. Cant wash your face enough!! Went back to the cultural center for the show. It was great! I watched the artist/dancer put the make up on. Then the performance had mohiniattam and kathakali. They showed all the mudras and hastaks. I was doing the mudras along with him! Kathak review! I miss learning Kathak! I can see myself performing on stage when I watch such performances! Anyway the performance was wondeful with great vocals, instrumentals, dancing, expressions, and story telling!! I was so sleep though! Felt bad that i was drowsing off so much!! But then I had masala dosa!! Yummy. Ok I am going to go read and sleep. Off to another village tomorow.
curtain rope or clothesline...I decide!

boat at sea

Ernakalum seen from ferry from fort Kochi

some industrial area for shipments I think

 Kathakali dance dolls
representing Gujarat in Kerala!

in case you forget how to wear a sari. Most creative dolls at the doll museum at kerala museum..props

many beautifully decorated christmas trees and decorations at the mall. I love how diverse Kerala is. Hindu, Christian, Jewish, Muslin neighbors. I was in a rikshaw driven by a Muslin driver. On my right was a car with Hindu idol. on my left was car with a cross and idol of Jesus. I love it!! This is how the world should be! Tolerance and respect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment