Friday, December 18, 2015

Bye Kochi, for now...

O.k.Here I am in Alleppey! Got here yesterday. Spare the details. Highlights were lovely morning walk to the beach and maritime museum. Walked 45 min to get to the museum and so worth it! Best way to see a place is not through ac vehicle; its by feet!! Also had my beloved nariyel nu pani aka coconut h20. And malai! Which I still have leftover. The beach was relaxing people, boats coming into harbor, and wave watching! The museum was great!! Learned a lot about Indian maritime/navy. Then went to the same restaurant I have become fond of. Its so close to that hostel so I came across it. Got my typical masala dosa. This time with.lime soda to even the spiciness! Yum yum. The guys there know me now. I like connecting with locals. I also met this friendly neighbor who lives next to that hostel. She striked a conversation with me in Hindi because she thought I spoke it. She was right. I do speak Hindi. I like to identify myself as from Gujarat when people ask although I do mention (sometimes) that I came from USA. I dont like special treatment so I prefer to just be my ethnically Indian self. The lady was from mumbai and we connected so easily. Serendipity! I saw this lady and her son at the beach who was climbing the cliffs and rocks. I was in awe of the child as I love kids and will stare at them (its a reflex for me). ( hold on I need to apply odomos. My ankles r itching).                                                         So where was I..I got on a ferry to get to Enarkalum train station from fort kochi. Actually many change of plans. First I was going to take a train, then changed my mind to a bus from fort kochi bus station to alleppey, then found out there is none, then bus from enarkalum, noone at the ticket window to give me a ticket so I was lile back to my original plan!! Train it is! Headed to the station and was ao excited. My first train ride in India (not counting any as. A little girl which I cannot recall anyway). I was psyched! And confused. I was like where does it say platform # so I asked and couple gentlemen were so helpful. One man actually was headed to the same train so he guided me to the platform. He also showed em where the ladies compartment is! How nice! People are genuinely nice here! He was holding a diaper bag/package. I wonder if he has small children! Anyway like I said. I like connecting with locals. And travellers alike! So back to the little kid and his mom who I saw at the beach. They were sitting in front of me in the ferry. So we got to talking and I was amazed. Nice to see a woman travelling with a child. The child will grow up to be tolerant and well rounded! Good mom! She was just amazing with her son! I recognize good parents when I observe them! Anyway, she ws soo nice!! Her little boy was adorable!! He was so amuses by thr waves and ripples created by the ferry. Aww. Then this guy sitting next me overheard my conversation and starting to talk to me. I get sceptical with guys when I am travelling alone so I did not respond well. But then I sensed he was genuine and a good person when I learned that he works for a ngo for specially abled and autistic children. I still have my guards up but learning about strangers is incredible as it opens your mind. I told him I had been looking for ngos in kerala to volunteer but didnt know where. I really wanted to learn more about another ngo I read about in which young girls or pregnant teenagers are given a home and thought life and parenting skills with resources to move on in their lives and be independent. I might call them once in kochi again but I wish I had more time and I would love to volunteer. Couple days in each place is not enough for investing myself in sustainable program or project with a ngo as I have learned in the past. Nonetheless I will try. I refuse to be just a tourist in India although I am basically half tourist. Also a backpacker and someone who is visiting her home.        Anyway, the train ride went smoothly. Everyone is so nice in the ladies compartment! This lady offered me salted peanuts but I refused kindly. I loved my first train ride in INDIA!! Travel like a local! I really wanted to go by train to gujarat from kerala but the ride is so long leaving me lesss time with my family so I am flying instead. If my time in India was longer than 1 month, it would have been ideal to go train then! So Alleppey is amazing so far!! I get my own room! It feels so luxorious as I lived in a bunk bed making it my home for last several days! I love hostel dorms and prefer them. I am out roaming around all day anyway so who needs a private room that costs more. But this place ran out of available dorm.beds for females or something so I got a private room. I like it even with the catrpiller.like big fat bug under my bed. My first thought in my current room was where can I hang my laundry!! I gave myself a laundry break yesterday so I had a bag full of clothes to wash in the sink today. I love my tide soap. Only 10Rs!!         Alleppey is beautiful. Did I say that already? The beach is gorgeous. At night the waves were so soothing to watch as I ate dinner at this restaurant. North Indian food in south India tastes different..but uniquely delicious! Paneer butter masala with chappati/roti. I have leftovers so that is my breakfast. :) no money wasting and no food wasting unless bugs are involved. :) oh I woke up at 4am today naturally... I see an afternoon nap in my forecast! And I want to look into aturvedic therapies since I am in the ayurvedic capital of the world!











6 comments:

  1. Love those pics of Kerala backwaters and beautiful mother nature. Nonetheless, forgot to mention that masala dosa. I need one right now. Its 1130 here. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those pics of Kerala backwaters and beautiful mother nature. Nonetheless, forgot to mention that masala dosa. I need one right now. Its 1130 here. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will go to dosa corner when I am back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. That would be awesome, but you will be so done with dosa by then..lol

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete